Saturday, 18 April 2015

Nail Stamping - How to make your own Squishy Nail Stamper - CHEAP!

 Those who know me well will be rather surprised at this blog post. Why? Because although I qualified in make up and manicure many years ago, I don't wear nail polish. Or at least I may wear it once in about 5 years... Partly because I bake a lot of bread and partly because my hubby hates the stuff and complains bitterly if I use any.

It doesn't stop me taking an interest though and recently I happened to see a few videos about nail stamping. I was fascinated because I think of nail art as hand drawn creations. Anyhow, it became clear that there are a lot of people who like (or would like) a certain brand of squishy, silicone, stamper. Now while the things themselves are probably very good, from what I have seen, they are not cheap by the time postage has been taken into account and you may have to wait a while for them to arrive.

My mind works in mysterious ways, some days I wonder if I'm firing on all cylinders and other days I have flashes of sheer brilliance. Just as well it is put to crafting use because otherwise I may have turned into a female version of "Q".  Today I had one of my flashes (not the hot ones).

There I was in the Chinese shop buying masking tape. Something drew me to the back of the store, where the plastic boxes, egg cartons and lolly moulds are. One item caught my eye and I whisked it off to the checkout. It cost all of under €2. Silicone Shot Glass Ice moulds. A set of 4. Here is one I demolished earlier..

The rest of the kit, I already had at home. A small empty lip balm pot (that had already been repurposed into a paint brush cleaning pot) and cotton wool balls. Yup, that and a pair of scissors is all you need. It's really easy!




In fact, the cotton balls are optional, depending on how squishy you want it to be. No need for glue, just trim to the height you want and pop it in the jar. Job done!

To those who wonder how well it works, it works just fine in picking up paint or polish. If using polish, the only clean up needed is a lint roller, if using acrylic paint, wash in warm soapy water. There is no need to season it at all. It measures about 3.5 cm in diameter.


Even better, is that once you have made one, you have 3 spare for future use!
Although I don't have any proper engraved plates, I did test it on picking up polish and it does it perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment